“Fasolada” Greek Traditional Recipe
This fragrant Mediterranean white beans soup (a traditional Greek recipe called “fasolada”) is great in both warmer and colder months. You can enjoy it cold in the summer, or boiled during the winter.
Combine it with side dishes and have a delicious and healthy meal.
Perfect for vegans and vegetarians!
Yield: 4 portions
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: ~ 3 hours
Total Time: 3 h 15 min
1 cup medium size white beans (soaked overnight)
1 white onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2, carrots, diced
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup diced celeriac (celery root) or chopped celery
250ml tomato sauce
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp paprika (sweet or spicy)
1 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
- Boil the beans in medium-high heat for about 1 – 1/2 hours until semi-done.
- Strain them and put them in a bowl.
- Add in the pot less than 1/4 of the olive oil and put it in medium-high heat again until it gets warm.
- Put the onion, the carrots, and the garlic in the oil and stir them for 3 minutes.
- Then, add the beans, the bay leaves, the tomato sauce, and 500ml/1-liter hot water and let them boiled for 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, add the diced celeriac (if you use it instead of celery), the salt, pepper, and paprika and let them cooked for about an hour.
- At this time, add the rest of the olive oil and the chopped celery (if you use it instead of celeriac) and leave them cooked for 15 more minutes. Add a little more hot water if it is needed.
- If the soup is thick and fragrant is ready!
- Served: Served with grated (vegan if you want) feta cheese on the top and side dishes like salted fish or canned sardines, olives and dips such as tzatziki sauce, beetroot sauce or eggplant dip.
- If you like spicy dishes you can add a pinch of crushed chilis. It is a perfect meal for the cold winter days.
- Plus, if you don’t like celery or celeriac just skip them, this white beans soup recipe will be delicious and without them.
- Storage: keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze it for at least 1 month.
Enjoy your fasolada!
I would be more than happy to hear from you! Leave a comment with your thoughts about this recipe or share your favorite soup recipe with white beans!