This easy and super healthy lentil soup recipe with a variety of vegetables is one of the best choices for a delicious meal full of protein and vitamins.
It’s perfect for a cold winter day but it’s nice and comfy for a hot day, as well!
And of course, is a yummy dish for vegetarians and vegans too!
Yield: 4 portions
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 60 min
2 cups (250 g) green or brown lentils (optional soaked for 2-4 hours, rinsed and drained)
1 white onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 carrots, diced
1 small sweet potato, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) cubes (~2 cups)
½ head of broccoli, broken into bite-sized florets (optional)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika (sweet or spicy)
1 fresh red chilli pepper (optional)
3 bay leaves
250ml canned chopped tomatoes or tomato sauce
- Rinse well the lentils if you hadn’t the time to soak them for 2-4 hours before cooking them. Soaking them help increase nutrient absorption.
- In a large pot with water put the lentils to boil for 5 minutes on height heat. In the meantime, you can cut your veggies! This is optional and it’s a trick for better digestion.
- Drain them after they boil.
- In the pot, on medium-high heat, add half of the oil. Once hot, add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red chili, cook for 2 minutes, before adding the spices and sautéing for about 30 seconds, except the salt.
- Then add the lentils, carrots, broccoli, tomato sauce, and 1 liter of hot water and bring them to a boil, then reduce to a simmer (medium-low heat) and cook for another 20-25 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and cook for another 15 minutes until all the veggies are tender.
- At last 5 minutes add the rest of the olive oil and salt and increase the heat until boil. Ιn this way you will achieve a perfect texture for your soup.
- Adjust salt and pepper to your liking and enjoy!
- Add vegetables of your choosing, such as mushrooms (added in with the garlic and sautéed for an extra 3 minutes),
- potatoes (added in with the lentils),
- or spinach (added 2 minutes before the end).
- Storage: Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Enjoy this healthy and delicious lentil soup recipe!
Please leave your comments below, I would be so happy to hear from you! Share your thoughts with me and tell me your opinion about this recipe or share your favorite recipe with lentils!
Do you want another soup recipe with legumes? This is one of my favorite: One-Pot White Beans Soup