One-Pot Green Beans with Potatoes, Carrots, and Tomato Sauce
Do you want an easy and quick vegan recipe for your everyday meal? Then, this is it, the best green bean casserole recipe! It’s a perfect dish with green beans (fresh or frozen) and veggies. You will enjoy it during the summer days as well as the colder days too.
This is a traditional Greek recipe with its Mediterranean identity. Super healthy and perfect for the main dish especially for vegetarians and vegans or as a side dish with your fish or meat.
Yield: 4 portions
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 h 15 min
700 gr green beans, fresh or frozen
1 big white onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2, carrots, sliced
4 potatoes, cut into 1 cm (½ inch) cubes
250ml canned tomato sauce or canned chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small lemon, juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp dill chopped
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp thyme or oregano – optional
1 bay leave – optional
- In the pot, on medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion, carrots, and potatoes and sauté them about 5 minutes. In the last 2 minutes add the garlic.
- Add the green beans and sauté 5 more minutes.
- Then, add the tomato sauce and the lemon juice and add as much hot water needed to cover all the ingredients barely.
- Put in the pot all the herbs and the spices.
- After boil reduce the heat to medium-low and leave for 45 to 50 minutes until all the ingredients are cooked properly and most of the liquids evaporated.
- Served: Served with feta cheese (or vegan feta) on the side, green olives and hot bread. Plus, try it with tzatziki sauce for more greek taste.
- If you like spicy dishes you can add one tbsp hot paprika or curry.
- Plus, feel free and add almost any vegetable you have like sweet potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, corn and peas (fresh or frozen). But, don’t forget to adjust the cooking time for example if you use zucchini or sweet potatoes (cut into 1 cm (½ inch) cubes) put them in the pot in the last 15 minutes.
- Storage: keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze it for at least 1 month.
Enjoy the best green bean casserole recipe!
I would be really happy to hear from you in the comments below! Let’s share our ideas, opinion, and recipes!
*feel free to check the nutrition of green beans if you’d like.