The Best Eggplant Sauce For Pasta
An easy and delicious eggplant sauce for pasta! In Italy, it is called “a la norma” and is ideal for a quick and healthy meal. Serve with your favorite type of pasta and enjoy a delicious and nutritious dish! It’s ideal for vegetarian and vegan diets, but perfect for everybody. It needs some basic and healthy main ingredients and is quick to prepare. A big plus, you can serve it not only with pasta but also with, rice or beans, make eggplant lasagna or use it as a pizza sauce!
- 1 large eggplant , diced
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 cloves of garlic , crushed
- 250 ml tomato sauce , or chopped canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika , (sweet, spicy, or smoked)
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Preheat the olive oil in the pot over medium-high heat.
Put the eggplant, onion, and garlic in the pot and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Add the honey and balsamic vinegar and continue to stir for another 3 minutes until softened and caramelized.
Increase the heat to high and add the tomato sauce, 1 cup hot water, and seasoning (salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, paprika, bay leaves).
Let them boil for 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer for another 10 minutes to become a thick and fragrant sauce.
*This is an estimated nutrition chart provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
- Serve with pasta and grated Parmesan or crumbled feta cheese on top.
- Also, it is a perfect sauce for rice, white beans, or pizza sauce.
- If you prefer spicy dishes you can add a pinch of chili flakes.
- Balance the amount of garlic according to your tastes.
- Add canned tuna, corn, and green olives for a more fishy and summery dish.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or up to three months in the freezer.